Concern about two Tunisian journalists missing in eastern Libya

first_imgNews News LibyaMiddle East – North Africa September 19, 2014 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Concern about two Tunisian journalists missing in eastern Libya News Follow the news on Libya On Libyan revolution’s 10th anniversary, authorities urged to guarantee press freedom December 17, 2019 Find out more RSF_en February 23, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts June 24, 2020 Find out more Help by sharing this information Chourabi is the host and producer of the programme “Dossiyates” for Tunisia’s First TV. He and Ktari, a photographer, went to Libya with the initial aim of covering the situation in the Tunisian-Libyan border region.After being detained by a militia in Brega, in eastern Libya, on 6 September, they were released a day later. According to the information obtained by Reporters Without Borders, they went missing near Ajdabiya the next day (8 September). There has been no word from them since then.“We calls for the immediate and unconditional release of these two journalists,” said Olivia Gré, the head of the Reporters Without Borders bureau in Tunis. “The authorities and all those involved in the transitional process in Libya must do everything possible to ensure that they are able to return safely to Tunisia.”Gré added: “The Tunisian authorities must support the mediation that has been initiated in order to speed the release of these two men. Our organizations supports the Chourabi and Ktari Support Committee set up by the National Tunisian Journalists’ Syndicate (SNJT) and the Arab Institute for Human Rights (IADH).”First TV CEO Kais Mabrouk told Reporters Without Borders: “I assigned Sofiène Chourabi the task of going to Libya to purse his investigation. Sofiène is an investigative journalist who is well known for his professionalism.”Reporters Without Borders Libya bureau chief Barbara Néault said: “Like Chourabi and Ktari, many journalists have unfortunately been abducted in Libya since it descended into its current state of all-out security chaos. This is the latest in a grim series of acts of violence against media personnel. Many journalists have had to flee abroad because the threats to their safety are so great.” to go further Reporters Without Borders is very concerned about the fate of Tunisian journalistsSofiène Chourabi and Nadhir Ktari, who went missing near Ajdabiya, in eastern Libya, on 8 September and were apparently abducted. RWB calls for their immediate release. Six imprisoned journalists to finally appear in court in Istanbul LibyaMiddle East – North Africa Well-known Libyan journalist missing since his arrest News Organisation last_img read more

Danville Village highway project to re-start on Wednesday

first_imgThe Vermont Agency of Transportation (VTrans) announced today that construction on the Danville Village reconstruction project will resume on Wednesday, July 27th.  ‘We are getting back to work on our Danville project this week,’ said Richard Tetreault, VTrans Director of Program Development. The announcement comes nearly two weeks after the Agency issued a stop work order following concerns over traffic management challenges for the project. Beginning Wednesday, project work will begin along US Route 2 east of the village green. Limited work is also expected to take place on and around the village green.  The traveling public can expect up to 10-minute delays through the project from the hours of 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. Two lanes of traffic will be open during peak times of the early morning (7:00 ~ 9:00) and late afternoon (4:00 ~ 6:00). Traffic will be managed by flaggers at each end of the work zone and where needed at driveways and side roads. According to Tetreault, VTrans had issued the stop work order following the discovery of several unanticipated factors and traffic challenges. During the past two weeks the VTrans project team has met daily with the contractors to re-assess and redevelop a project plan and schedule, including an improved traffic management plan. VTrans has also held meetings with area residents and businesses to better understand public concerns. The contractor, Pike Industries, Inc. is being advised of the changes and will work to update their schedule of operations. Moving forward, VTrans will also step-up its efforts to communicate with the public on project updates and activities, including hosting periodic meetings with the area residents. The meetings will include the contractor and the VTrans inspection team. ‘We want to make sure folks understand what the contractor’s schedule of operations will be and also provide a forum for the public to ask questions and become informed,’ Director Tetreault explained.last_img read more

The Latest: French soccer federation prepares rescue package

first_img April 16, 2020 ___World Rugby is offering a $100 million relief fund for national unions distressed by the coronavirus pandemic.World Rugby says “it is designed to assist the maximum number of unions for the maximum amount of time while there is a rugby void.”The body adds “the financial package will potentially involve a combination of advances and loans” for Six Nations and Sanzaar unions and that “World Rugby is also committed to supporting emerging nations and regional associations where required.”___ Associated Press ___Nice coach Patrick Vieira has been thanked by the city’s mayor for donating 250 iPads to elderly people in four public care homes.The 43-year-old Vieira is a former player who won the 1998 World Cup with France.Mayor Christian Estrosi says “together we’re always stronger and I thank Patrick Vieira and Nice for their generosity.”Estrosi says the tablets are essential in helping people maintain contact with their families “and limit the isolation of our elders during the confinement period.” The FFF says it will announce its “massive support plan for amateur soccer” in the coming days. It says the plan will support clubs when their leagues restart next season.The FFF canceled all its leagues this season because of the coronavirus pandemic except the third division and the women’s first division. The top two men’s leagues in France and the League Cup are run by the LFP.The French Cup final on April 25 and the women’s French Cup semifinals on March 21 have been postponed but not canceled.___The U.S. Tennis Association says it is overseeing a commitment of more than $50 million to help the sport deal with the effects of the coronavirus pandemic. PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi says the hospital workers are “true heroes” who should continue to be applauded.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___The French soccer federation is preparing a rescue package for its 14,000 amateur clubs. The Indian Premier League has been suspended indefinitely because of the coronavirus pandemic.The IPL has become cricket’s primary annual competition in April and May but India this week extended the world’s biggest lockdown to May 3. That has dashed hopes by the Board of Control for Cricket in India of a shortened IPL in May possibly without spectators.The BCCI bowed to the inevitable to suspend the Twenty20 competition until further notice.BCCI honorary secretary Jay Shah says “the health and safety of the nation and everyone involved in our great sport remains our top priority and … the IPL 2020 season will only commence when it is safe and appropriate to do so.”The eight-week IPL was to begin on March 29 but was then pushed back to April 15. The Latest: French soccer federation prepares rescue package ___French soccer club Paris Saint-Germain is helping to provide meals for medical staff combating the coronavirus outbreak.Up to 1,200 meals per day are being prepared in the kitchens of the Parc des Princes in western Paris. They are then delivered by volunteers from the Street Food en Mouvement (Street Food on the Move) association.Volunteers from the association have used the stadium kitchens since April 9. Four trucks have been used to take more than 5,000 meals to seven hospitals.Every day a team of 12 delivers a full meal outside hospitals from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. and 6 p.m.-10 p.m. The USTA says it is shaving more than $20 million from its budget by reducing salaries of its management and eliminating programs in player development and marketing.The group that runs the U.S. Open says the total future support provided by the USTA and its industry partners for the sport at the grassroots level “will be determined by the financial performance” of the 2020 Grand Slam tournament in Flushing Meadows.The USTA says it still plans to stage its tournament as scheduled from Aug. 31 to Sept. 13.The U.S. Open would be the next major tennis championship on the calendar after the French Open was postponed and Wimbledon was canceled.The WTA and ATP professional tours are currently suspended until at least July and one tournament in August already has been called off.last_img read more

MFM Dispatches Tornadoes in Rescheduled Clash

first_imgNigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) newcomers, MFM FC, continued their fine run at home as they ran out 2-0 winners over Niger Tornadoes monday.The match was earlier billed to take place on Sunday at the Agege Stadium in Lagos but was called off due to heavy rainfall and a waterlogged pitch.MFM Head Coach, Fidelis Ilechukwu, named a start-list without the pair of Ifeanyi Ifeanyi and Musa Newman, who dropped to the bench which meant former Heartland man, Isah Akor led the line with Stephen Odey and Sikiru Olatunbosun playing off him.In the other dugout, Coach Abdullahi Biffo, lined up his best performers in recent match-weeks in Ismaila Gata, Bolaji Adeyemo, Gabriel Wassa, Samuel Tswanya and Wilfred Ammeh. The opening exchanges were cagey as both sides opted to take pops from range. Attempts by Tswanya and Odey from range were always not going to trouble the goalkeepers in the first quarter of the hour.Akor also tried to shoot from distance but missed target.Twenty-six minutes into the contest, the first goal was scored out of nothing as Tornadoes defender Abiodun Adebayo turned the ball into his net with a flick that left his goalkeeping teammate, Omoregie Nobas, with no chance.At the other end, as much as Gata tried to influence things for Tornadoes, he was always confronted by the organised backline of Austine Opara, Bashiru Monsuru, Abisoye Olawale and Kenneth Elom.On one of such rare occasions just before the break, Gata looked to attempt to force the issue but the MFM defence mopped well.Two minutes into added time of the first half, Odey doubled MFM’s lead with the last kick of the first 45 minutes.Biffo, in the restart, sent on Usman Bashir and Bala Saidu, and it was the former, who produced a near-scoring opportunity when his effort only turned out to be a side-netting.MFM have now won seven matches in the Nigerian top-flight this season, and have managed four successive clean sheets at home. They climb to eight place with 26 points.Tornadoes are in 16th place with 20 points and are yet to win a point on the road.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more